Women at the Helm Antiguan Internship Program
SECOND STAR SAILING is announcing 2 more internship positions within our WOMEN AT THE HELM program 2023-2024! It is designed for enthusiastic Antiguan females willing to learn sailing and be closely involved in our sailing school’s day to day processes.
The internship program is developed to give the interns:
- as much knowledge possible about sailing and the industry;
- joining our RYA practical and theory courses;
- being an essential part of our team on shore;
- becoming the ambassador for women in sailing in Antigua.
By the end of the program, the interns will gain knowledge about a sailing organisation’s management, receive RYA sailing certifications, acquire practical skills on sailboat maintenance, have some racing practice, and most importantly – become a member of the sailing community in Antigua and worldwide.
The outcome of the program is individual and is directly linked to how much time and work you are committed to putting in. We are interested in supporting enthusiastic women interested in making changes not only in their professional life, but also willing to make a difference in local community – educating, empowering, and inspiring other women from our beautiful island. We want this internship program to be an equal exchange: your motivation and passion will be fueling the level of knowledge we will be able to give back. We are here to guide, help, become a platform for your sailing passion, ready to make a difference together!
With this program, we wish to create an inclusive environment for local community, decrease the stereotyped gender gap in the industry, and learn from each other. We hope the program will inspire local females to explore the growing sailing community in Antigua, meet likeminded women sailors, and embrace the opportunities that the program will bring along the way. May it become a new hobby, exciting career prospects in sailing, or even becoming an experienced racer in the future – we are happy to welcome you on board for your first steps!
Female candidates who can apply:
- Citizens of Antigua and Barbuda
- At least 18 years old
- Ability to swim
- None or very little experience in sailing
- Availability during working hours 2 days per week to work at the school’s base
- Availability for 5 consecutive days during each one of the sailing and theory courses
- Commitment to the whole duration of the program
- Motivation and ability to work on individual projects
- Enthusiasm and strong sense of community
- Practical and theory sailing training – from RYA Competent Crew level up to RYA Coastal Skipper certification
- Everyday tasks at the School Office – assisting instructors, base managers, marketing
- Learning boat and sailing base maintenance
- Learning and crewing on charters, RYA Exams
- Participating in local Regattas
- Participating in planning activities for the season
- Individual local community-based project of your choice
Second Star Sailing provides:
- Free of charge participation in following courses: Competent Crew, Day Skipper Practical, Day Skipper Theory, Skills Week, Racing Week, Powerboat Level 2, First Aid, Diesel Engine, VHF Radio, Special courses and workshops.
- Books and online materials required for the courses
- Sailing safety gear
- Flexible schedule
- After completing 7 full months of the program, interns should have enough knowledge to qualify for a job in yachting industry, sufficient certification to charter a boat for holidays or work as a skipper on different sailboats.
- Application deadline – June 15th, 2023
- Start of the program – October 16th, 2023
- End of the program – June 30th, 2024
- Location – Antigua, Jolly Harbour.
WOMEN AT THE HELM is a training concept created by our female instructors
Focused on developing opportunities for women to acquire sailing skills in a supportive and fun environment, female-only courses and events at all levels offer a powerful opportunity to build on your sailing skills with other like-minded women. Our programs range widely from the full spectrum of RYA courses to technical workshops, to participating in Regattas as part of all-female crews, to Atlantic Crossings…. Or simply as a fun cruise, a relaxing vacation with your girlfriends, either in the Caribbean or in the Med.
Women-specific courses lend themselves to a cooperative learning environment in which all women are welcome to take on all roles equally. Our Women at the Helm courses cover the same syllabus as our coed courses, with the same technical skills and theory, we go to the same anchorages and marinas, sail on the same boats, and face the same weather. The confidence you will gain will allow you grow from being member of the crew all the way to becoming a qualified (even professional) skipper, as we simply make the learning process easier by sharing the challenges with your female teammates.
All our Women at the Helm events are led by our experienced female skippers, providing you the opportunity to not only learn alongside other women, but to learn directly from accomplished female instructors and mentors. We love to teach other girls and women how to make the most of their time on the water.
We are often asked, why should I join Women at the Helm? …..well, why not?
Men and women are different, and we have different strengths and weaknesses, which are only amplified in an environment that can be physically demanding such as sailing. When you share the same challenges due to body size and relative strength, it becomes easier to be equal on board and to collaborate to find solutions.
Note: women-only courses can be ideal for many sailors, but we understand that many women prefer coed trips, so you can choose both styles of program – and we will always support the individual needs of our course participants.
FOLLOW US ALSO ON FACEBOOK – https://www.facebook.com/WomenHelm
- December 11-15
- January 15-19
- February 5-9
- March 5-9
- April 9-13
- May 14-18
RYA Courses for Women:
- RYA Start Yachting
- RYA Competent Crew
- RAY Day Skipper
- RYA Coastal Skipper
- RYA Yachtmaster Prep
- RYAYachtmaster Ocean
- RYA Diesel Engine
- Grenada Race Week
- RYA First Aid
- RYA SRC Radio
Women’s Racing Italy:
- Women’s Cup Italia
- 151 Miglia Regatta
- Rolex Middle Sea Race
Women’s Racing Caribbean:
- RORC 600 Caribbean
- St Maarten Heineken Regatta
- St. Barths Regatta
- Antigua Race Week
- Yoga & Sail week
- Wednesday is for Women
- Fundraising events
- Team building events
- Match Racing