Duration: 1 day.
Classroom course: One day, usually 09:30 to 17:30.
The classroom course is structured with alternating theory and practical modules to enhance your learning. We also move from the classroom to the boat for on-board scenarios that better suit First Aid at Sea situations.
No experience is necessary to learn First Aid!!
The RYA First Aid course is designed to provide a working knowledge of first aid for all those who go afloat, on inland waters or up to 60 miles offshore. The syllabus is based on the recommendations of the Health and Safety Executive and the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency. The certificate fulfills the requirements of the MCA Code of Practice for the skippers of small commercial vessels up to category 2.
The syllabus for the course includes, but is not limited to:
- Perform CPR to current protocols, and understand the differential for drowning
- How to use an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED)
- Understand the importance of the recovery position and the need to modify it for a small space
- Apply direct pressure to a wound to control bleeding
- Understand the term shock, recognise and treat it, with particular reference to internal and external bleeding
- Understand the treatment for cold shock and hypothermia following immersion and/or exposure
- Recognise the signs of a reduced level of response, with particular reference to serious head injuries
- Choose suitable first aid equipment for their boat
- Understand how to get medical advice or assistance by radio
- Understand how to prepare for the evacuation of a casualty by helicopter
Add-on for Skippers of MCA Coded Vessels only
Awareness of the content and administration of a category C first aid kit, including the pocket mask.
All of our RYA Courses are held in English
Please note the details in your confirmation email as to special attire, materials or gear required for the course.
This course, like any additional learning opportunity, will most likely enhance your knowledge toward any RYA certification you are pursuing…
Course Prerequisites, Testing, and Information:
- There are no prerequisites
- Course Fees:
– Classroom course €150
– With Cat C Add-on €165
– All materials for the class are provided: RYA Training Handouts, manikins, bandages, masks etc.
– If you have a First Aid Kit or Medical Application which you would like to bring, open, review, or use, please do.
– Please wear comfortable layered clothing as we will be bandaging each other, sitting on the floor, and in odd spaces on board.
– There is no written exam.
– RYA First Aid Certificate. Valid for 3 years. The certificate fulfills the requirements of the MCA Code of Practice for the skippers of small commercial vessels up to category 2.
– The Certificate also fulfills the requirements for your Yachtmster Offshore examination requirements as well as any renewal or Commercial Endorsement
– A volte teniamo un corso parallelo in Italiano, ma che non permette di conseguire il certificato RYA contattateci a proposito.