Duration: 5 days.
The practical RYA Coastal Skipper course is comprised of planning a series of coastal passages and putting them into practice, while refining items such as pilotage. The course is held over a period of 5 consecutive days on board, with daytime and night time navigation, to refine and review existing skills and to develop skills to skipper a vessel on coastal passages by day and night.
This is achieved RYA principles and practices to the appropriate level of competence in areas such as: sailing of the vessel in different weather conditions, Man Over Board exercises, leadership and management of the crew, provisioning, safety on board, navigation, the diesel engine, and other situations one might encounter as a skipper of coastal passages. All this while we review general theory concepts, International Rules for Preventing Collisions at Sea, communications, and terminology. This course, as all RYA courses, is held in English.
Under RYA guidelines, practical courses are restricted to a maximum of 5 students on board per each instructor – both for safety and to allow more time for exercises and manoeuvres and personalized attention from the instructor for each student. Normally the courses are held from Monday at 9:00am to Friday at 5:00pm, with some modifications during holiday/vacation periods.
We also offer this course as a 9 day Intensive which includes both the Theory and the Practical portions of the syllabus. Intensives are usually run from Saturday morning at 09:00 to the following Sunday evening at 17:00.
The list price to our members for the RYA Coastal Skipper Practical course includes: 5 days on board in shared accommodations, mooring fees, fuel, RYA certified instructor, all safety gear, access to all relevant didactic materials, certificate.
- Minimum age: 17 years
- 15 days at sea
- 300 nautical miles
- 2 days as skipper
- 8 hours of night navigation
- Intermediate sailing ability
- Navigation theory knowledge to the level of RYA Coastal Theory (which we suggest you complete prior on in combination with this course)
- Sail with friends and family along the coast, or short jaunts to closeby islands
- Regattas and other events with friends or yacht clubs or with a group
- Sail cruise vacation or a cruising school week at a higher level with us
- Charter with friends and family
- RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Prep Course
- Eventually, the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Exam, and following…