Duration: 1o hours.
Online/Interactive course: Once you sign up and log in, you can work through the course at your own pace. The time it takes to complete the course varies greatly, but the majority of students complete it in 10 hours or less, including the final assessment. It’s up to you how you break your study time down to suit you
The PPR course is an online/interactive course offered through RYA Recognised Training Centres such as Second Star Sailing, and is designed for skippers and crew using RYA qualifications to allow them to work commercially. As such, it is written mainly from the point of view of UK legislation and concentrates on your place in the international maritime environment as a UK certificate holder. However, it also explains the need to look beyond UK rules and regulations and take into consideration the requirements of the flag and port state.
Teaching scenarios throughout the course are based on a variety of boats, both sail and power. It may be that you have experience on none of the boats used, but that will not affect your ability to do the course as no specialist knowledge of any type of vessel is required – the same rules and regulations apply regardless of your type of boat or operation.
Before you start your course please make sure your computer is set up correctly to enable you to access, open, and complete the course. If you have any questions regarding the compatibility of your computer, please contact us.
Our PPR instructors will be able to respond to any queries you may have during your course. You can contact your instructor using the link on the screen and they should respond to you within 8 working hours. We also offer telephone support should you need immediate assistance.
The course is broken down into four modules:
- Commercial environment – how you fit into the professional maritime world.
- People – the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels.
- Vessel – the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures.
- Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
Following the modules there is a mock assessment so you can check you are ready before moving on to the final graded online assessment/exam.
We estimate users will take around 6 to 8 hours to work through the four course modules. The graded end of course assessment/exam is split into two sections, totaling 2 ½ hours.
All new applicants for a commercially endorsed RYA Certificate of Competence, from Day Skipper to Yachtmaster Ocean, must first pass the PPR course.
Anyone renewing a commercially endorsed RYA Certificate of Competence must pass the PPR course prior to their next renewal date, if they haven’t already done so.
Course Prerequisites and Exam Requirements:
- No prerequisites are necessary.
- Course Fees:
– Online/interactive course €99
– Exam Fee: there is no additional exam fee.
– The online exam is included in the course (see above)
– Upon successfully passing the exam, you will be able to access the Completion Certificate which can be added to your application for Commercial Endorsement or its renewal.